Because of the growing power needs of the region's 4.7 million residents, National Grid and Eversource Energy's proposed Solution has been selected to bolster the area's transmission reliability. ISO-New England, the region's independent power system operator, chose the Greater Boston and New Hampshire Solution (on February 12, 2015) because of its lower cost and superior performance criteria.
- Provides the most cost-effective solution to meet customer needs
- Improves power system reliability and quality
- Delivers substantially greater levels of power-import capacity, which will enable access to lower-cost and cleaner power sources for consumers
- Offers flexible design and technology
- Contains costs and minimizes environmental impact by working in existing rights-of-way, within existing roadways, and/or unused railways
- Boosts the regional economy with local jobs and increased local property tax revenue in Massachusetts and New Hampshire
- Supports the region’s economic health and demand for electricity for many years to come