CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR EMAIL UPDATES
Here's a look ahead regarding what work is to be expected in Wakefield over the coming weeks for the Woburn to Wakefield Line Project as our crews continue manhole installation and duct bank work.
Please be advised that temporary traffic lights will be put in place this week on Salem Street. The traffic lights will be located at the intersection of Salem Street and Nablus Road, and at the intersection of Salem Street and Tobey Lane. These temporary lights will be installed in advance of upcoming work scheduled to begin the week of January 27 at the intersection of Salem Street and Nablus Road.
This week our manhole installation crew will be working on Montrose Avenue as they install the second to last manhole in Wakefield for this project. This work will require a full time closure for through-traffic on Montrose Avenue between Salem Street and Whittier Road until the manhole installation is complete.
Local and emergency vehicular traffic access to the work zone will be facilitated by police details stationed on site. Please approach the police detail if you need to enter the work zone and the police will ensure that you are able to safely reach your destination.
Duct bank excavation and installation continues along the unused MBTA Right-of-Way (ROW) north of Water Street. Additional duct bank excavation and installation is taking place along the Wakefield Junction Substation driveway.
Next week our manhole installation crew will be working on Broadway Street between Albion Street and Lake Street. Once this work begins we anticipate a full time road closure within the Broadway Street work zone for the duration of the installation work.
*Over the next two weeks neighbors can expect to see:
- This week on Salem Street: begin temporary traffic light installation near the intersection of Salem Street and Nablus Road, and the intersection of Salem Street and Tobey Lane
- This week on Montrose Avenue: begin manhole installation between Salem Street and Whittier Road
- This week on the MBTA ROW: continue excavation and duct bank trenching adjacent to Vernon Street and towards Fitch Court
- This week at the Wakefield Junction Substation Driveway: continue excavation and duct bank trenching on the National Grid substation property
- Next week on Salem Street: preliminary work site set up and excavation at the Salem Street-Nablus Road intersection
- Next Week on Broadway Street: begin manhole installation between Albion Street and Lake Street
Traffic Management Updates:
- Salem Street Temporary Traffic Light Installation: Expect changing traffic patterns due to newly installed temporary traffic lights on Salem Street at the intersections of Nablus Road and Tobey Lane. When work is active traffic will be detoured to a single lane when travelling past the work zone
- Montrose Avenue Closure between Salem Street and Whittier Road: Follow police detail direction and posted detour signage
Please know that our Community Outreach Team is continuing its work to keep residents and businesses informed of upcoming and ongoing construction activities. As always, if you have questions about any of our current or upcoming work, please feel free to contact a member of our project outreach team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling our project hotline at 1-844-646-8427.
*Please note, due to the complexities of outdoor construction, schedule is subject to change.
Wakefield Project Fact Sheet.
Typical construction equipment involved in underground construction of this nature include, but are not limited to: excavators, dump trucks; crew cab pick up trucks; vacuum trucks; and portable generators.
A strong electrical transmission system is vital to our region’s safety and economic prosperity. To improve reliability and address growing electricity demands identified by ISO-NE, National Grid and Eversource have teamed up to implement the Greater Boston and New Hampshire Solution, comprised of various projects in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
One of the proposed projects is the Woburn to Wakefield Line, a new 345-kilovolt (kV) underground transmission line that will connect Eversource’s Woburn Substation in Woburn and National Grid’s Wakefield Junction Substation in Wakefield. The proposed line will extend approximately 8.5 miles between two existing substations, passing through Woburn, Winchester, Stoneham, and Wakefield, MA. The project also includes improvements within the existing fence lines of the Woburn and Wakefield Substations.
Eversource will be constructing the new line from the Woburn substation through Woburn, Winchester and Stoneham. National Grid will complete construction from the Stoneham/Wakefield border to the Wakefield Junction Substation.
For more information specific to the Towns of Woburn, Winchester, and Stoneham, please visit Eversource’s Project web page, click here.
For a full listing of past events and public outreach, click here.
For answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the Woburn to Wakefield line, click here.
For Traffic Management Plans Part A, click here.
For Traffic Management Plans Part B, click here.
Massachusetts Energy Facilities Siting Board Filings
To view the MA EFSB's file room docket for this proceeding, please click HERE and enter "EFSB15-04" in the "Docket Number" box at the top left of the page. You can also find links to each of the individual filing documents by clicking HERE.
Route Selection Criteria and Scoring
To view route selection criteria and scoring information, please click HERE.